The Bonaire Maritime Heritage Foundation was established in November 2015. The main mission of this non-profit organization is to accomplish the following:
- To preserve artifacts, photographs, documents, charts and the aural/visual history of Bonaire’s maritime past.
- To restore boats that are of historical significance to the ABC Islands.
- To create a maritime heritage center where residents and visitors can visit and learn about Bonaire’s role in the southern Caribbean’s nautical history through interpretive displays and audio/video materials.
- To expose youth of all ages to their maritime past.
- Involve youth in learning activities such as seamanship, boat building, boat maintenance and boat restoration in order to develop skills and promote careers in the maritime industry.
- Develop and promote innovative public outreach efforts that focus on Bonaire’s nautical past.